OMUNYAKONE (OMUKHOONE) WAS BOLD ENOUGH TO NULLIFY THE RE-ELECTION OF A SITTING PRESIDENT

I am very sure the title of today's post looks weird to most of the readers of this blog. But this title is driven by the recent groundbreaking phenomenon of the nullification of the reelection of President Uhuru Kenyatta on the 8th of August 2017 by the SupremeCcourt of Kenya headed by Chief Justice David Magara.

Soon after the verdict was read, I went to Senior Common Room of the University of Nairobi for tea break. Senior Common Room is the canteen for lecturers at the University of Nairobi. Immediately I entered, my friend Dr. Ben Nyanchoga, a Historian lecturing in the department of History stood and shook my hand saying, "my friend I now believe you... You bakhone are brave and daring". So I wondered what had happened because I did not even know that the Supreme Court had nullified Uhuru's victory.

My friend Dr. Nyanchoga went to tell as me, "Do you know that Justice Maraga is Omunyakone?" I said, "No."

Dr. Nyanchoga confirmed to me that he belongs to the abanyakone clan who reside in Mugirango. I was very surprised.  Out of the pride and excitement, I decided to make a quick stop over in North Mogirango as I had been directed by my friend Dr. Nyanchoga. I wanted to get more about Abanyakone, our long lost cousins. When I met the elders there, quite a number could still remember names of great warriors such as Mufula and Khudumbaye. They even talked of Opetu and narrated how they crossed the lake into their present settlement.  So I introduced myself as a fifth generation descendant of Khudumbaye. They were surprised because they thought Khudumbaye had died on the same day as Mufula. I promised them to go back for further introductions.

Abanyakone are members of abakhone clan who crossed through Lake Victoria during the great war of Ifunikho or Esiadikho in 1800 and settled among the Abagusii. Some of their settlements are in the area of Ekerenyo primary school. Another group of Abakhone who crossed the lake to South Nyanza settled in Homa Bay County around Oyugis area in a location called Obisa. These ones call themselves "Bakone". 

Among the abagusii, the people of abanyakone clan are associated with the power of mystery. As I had explained earlier, the abakhone clan used to people with such mysterious powers. Even in war, their warriors war charms of mystery that made them look like giants to the enemies.

The abanyakoni are famous for their music. They have a band by the name "Banyakoni Kirwanda" which plays Kisii Benga music. I will be updating you on the history of abanyakone or abanyakoni in the coming weeks. But as a the larger abakhone clan, we are proud to be associated with kenyan history through the brave and fearless Justice David Maraga, Omunyakone.

It is a high time other abakhone joined me in recognising the existence of our long lost cousins: Abanyakone in Gusiiland and Bakone in Homa Bay.  

Comments

  1. I am bilingual , (father Luhya-Mkhone, and Mother Kisii) This story makes me feel more Mkhone as some aspects of my maternal side could as well have Originated from the Mkhone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am James Lunani Wafubwa,Omukhone from Bungoma county from the lineage of Kayoyo the father to Wakoko,Bule,Otunga and Mumasi.Am retired principal residing in Kimilili.I wish Abakhone of Gusii,Luoland and Luhyaland come together.One common factor is that we have power prowess back to Bachwezi leadership.I propose Charles Nyachae,Former chief David Maraga,Raphael wanjala and Hon Otanga come together to spearhead the Union and creat abakhone Wall.Am proud to be Omukhone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE LINEAGE OF CHIEF SUDI NAMACHANJA

THE CHWEZI ORIGINS OF THE ABAKHOONE CLAN

ABAKHONE AND ABANYALA WERE DIFFERENT ENTITIES